Wednesday, 2 June 2010

New screentprint: The Coolest Dog in Town.




I made this illustration about five years ago during my illustration postgraduate in Eina. I did it in Alexis Rom's workshop, he was one of my favourite teachers of the course. Great taste and super handy techniques he didn't mind sharing with the students (some teacher were a bit paranoid about us copying them). He showed us how to get this textured effect. He does lots of screenprinting but back then I didn't know how to, so the coolest dog was just lying there, in an old folder in my computer, waiting for me to do something with it till now. I know it's not an amazing illustration, but it has sentimental value to me.

If case you'd like to know, to get this textured effect, you simply dab a sponge with acrylic paint all over a piece of paper. If you're going to use it for screen printing, the paper should be transparent (film) or tracing paper. Then you can cut the pieces to make the illustration from the painted paper, or you can also scan the whole paper and cut the pieces in photoshop. Really high tech techniques.

No comments: